Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My DIY Side Table Makeover

So folks, I got in a hurry and forgot to take a before picture of this makeover.  I hope with some of the pictures, you can appreciate how much work was involved.  Admittedly, this is NOT my favorite way to makeover furniture.  Lots of work, lots of waiting for the finished product.

I started with sanding.  I had just gotten my new sander for Christmas from my honey; so I was pretty excited about getting started.  The top of the table was a shiny/glossy veneer; but it was glued down really well; so I didn't have to make any repairs.  The legs were very wobbly and upon inspection I saw it was missing two screws which made the legs insecure.  After taking the table apart (I seem to like taking thing apart lol).... I sanded the top using 120 grit and 220 grit sandpaper.  I later learned I probably should have started with something a little rougher.  I sanded the legs.  The sanding alone took a couple of weekends with the winter weather blasts that we've had this year.  

Then came the priming.  Honey picked up a can of Zinnser's Cover Stain for me and I tried mixing it with Penetrol as seen on another blog.  I guess I didn't shake and stir the cover stain very well because the first coat came out really thin.

Maybe you can tell from these pictures just how dark the original wood was.
Legs 1st Coat of Primer




Top 1st Coat of Primer


After two coats of primer, I had to wait a couple of weeks for the weather to warm up.  Since this was an oil based product with relatively high VOC's I had to work in a well ventilated area (i.e. my garage).



Legs 2nd Coat of Primer

Top 2nd Coat of Primer

A week or so later I started with the first coat of Rustoleum Oil Based paint in Almond.   I painted the bottom and sides; leaving the top for later.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of this step.  I thought I wanted a pin striped detail along the sides.  


After I took the painters tape off; I didn't like the look at all.  So, I had to paint over it.  And of course, had to wait another day for that.


Finally getting closer to being finished; a big winter blast hit but luckily by the weekend it warmed up.  Tis the life in Texas.   One more coat of paint all over and its time to get put back together.  New washers and screws made it much more stable than before.

And..... VOILA!



It has smooth shiny legs and a textured top.  I'm pleased with the results.  It has maintained its classic look yet refreshed and modern at the same time.

Be sure to share if you care.... Your comments are welcome.
Look me up on facebook:

www.facebook.com/dbablondiesboutique

This item is for sale:
$75.00 + tax and delivery if applicable.
Cash or Payapal.  Email me if interested at tjsblondie@yahoo.com

Have a wonderfully blessed day,
Blondie